Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It's All Good in the Parenthood Part 3

               Holding newborns has always scared me. So pretty much anytime I was asked if I wanted to hold a baby, I declined. I always envisioned myself dropping or hurting it in someway. Chances are that if you have to say "Dude, I'm really sorry I dropped your baby" to your friend well you're probably not going to be friends anymore. So when it came time for me to finally hold Trevor for the first time, let's just say I was incredibly nervous. How nervous exactly? I'll let the picture below speak for itself.

                                       

               As you can clearly see, I'm uncomfortable. However the longer I hold him, The more comfortable I got and my fear turned into pure amazement. I'm  amazed by the fact that I'm now a father and that this baby I now hold is part me and part my wife Danielle.

               I only get to hold him for a few minutes however as the nurse tells me if we have any visitors that they can come in and see the baby. So I make my way out to the lobby to get my family who are preparing to leave because the baby didn't sprint out of the womb like he was Usain Bolt. 

               This is where I feel bad again for Danielle. She had just pushed for 2 hours and I'm sure the last thing she wants is visitors. But she is a sport and even though she is in a world of hurt she is still genuinely happy to see everyone. They all take turns holding the baby and take their leave, A different nurse arrives and gives Trevor a much needed bath. While she is in the middle of bathing Trevor and showing me how to do it, Danielle's family arrives. They spend some time holding Trevor and taking pictures. Some of which my wife are in and she looks like she just went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. 

                Just as they finish taking pictures, a nurse comes in and informs us that we are being moved to a new room. I gather our belongings and head a few rooms down from the room we were in and to my surprise, it's smaller, much smaller, and not as luxurious as the room we were in before. It was like going from staying in a Hilton to a Motel 6. There was no couch but a chair next to the hospital bed. 

                So I set our stuff down and head to the chair to test it out because I figured I was going to have to sit in that thing and somehow sleep. It had to be better than that miserable couch. The first thing I notice about said chair is that it is pretty beat up and the cushions were quite worn. It also had a kinda body odor scent to it. As I'm inspecting the chair my wife comes in the room in a wheel chair being pushed by the nurse. The nurse sees me looking at the chair and tells me that it pulls out into a bed. Of course it does!! After she said that, I knew this was going to be another long night. 

                I help my wife into bed and we decide it's time to eat and take advantage of hospital room service. As I said in the first post. The fathers kinda get shafted. The rules for ordering hospital room service for the mother are pretty simple. Anything they want is free. However for us dads the first 2 meals are free. After that they are $5.00. Are you kidding me? I mean hospital food isn't that great but even prison inmates get at least 1 meal a day. I've even heard that depending on hospital the father only gets 1 free meal. The jokes on them however because I somehow got 3 free meals so take that Hitler of hospital food.

                Now up until this point I had always remembered babies being put in a nursery with other babies but I guess times have changed because they now stay in the room with you. In a way I think this is better in the long run. Mother and baby get to spend more time together. Also decreases the chances of bringing home the wrong kid. The nurse wheels Trevor into our room shortly after we finish eating and we decide it's time to catch some sleep. It takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to Optimus Prime my chair into a bed. Finally I figure it out and throw my pillow and blanket on it and laid down. I toss and turn for a half an hour. By this time my wife is already fast asleep and so is Trevor. My chair bed felt like laying on a wood pallet. I couldn't believe I actually started to miss that couch and so wished we still had our original room back. Somehow my lack of sleep and the days events soon catch up with me and I finally fall asleep on that fucking chair bed. 

4th and final part of this story coming soon. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment