Saturday, August 10, 2013

It's All Good in the Parenthood Part 2

            Before I jump right back into my story I just want to say that initially this wasn't meant to be a multi part post but as I was writing part 1 I just kind of kept going and next thing I know I have a pretty decent size post and with still more of my story to tell I decided it was best to just stop and make a part 2. I was nervous that it might be too long and that no one would read it. So thanks again to those of you who have. The amount of views I have been getting on this blog is amazing and I hope you've all enjoyed what you've been reading. Okay enough about you, back to me.

                 I somehow mange to get a couple hours sleep and awaken to the sound of the doctor talking to my wife and going over the game plan for the day. After the doctor leaves I ask my wife how she slept and her reply was that she hadn't slept but for an hour or so. I totally understood why she hadn't with the nurses coming in and out all night and thinking about having to deliver a baby. My wife also wants me to point out that during the time I managed to sleep I apparently snored. Also her contractions were starting to pick up. I get up off or should I say roll off my mattress which by this time I'm certain is a giant rock taken from Stonehenge. My back is sore, my ribs are sore, and I'm starving. I was smart and packed some snacks to bring just in case. I brought a couple apples, Cheez its (Is crack an ingredient in those things because good god are they amazing), gummy bears and a bottle of water. However eating what I brought is not as easy as it sounds because my wife can't eat a thing. The only thing she is allowed to have is ice chips. Mmmm sounds delicious right? I'm sure the ice chips were like heaven since it was all she could have and I doubt any woman who has been through the same thing has walked in a restaurant and ordered ice chips.

WAITER : Here are our specials tonight. Fresh Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon served with a side of asparagus and a chef salad, pork chops served with your choice of two sides, and Ice Chips served in a styrofoam cup.

MOTHER AT A RESTAURANT: Ice Chips!!!

              I eat the Cheez its and felt guilty the whole time. Hey a guys gotta eat. Oh and I forgot she was also allowed popsicles. Anywho I can tell that she is really starting to feel these contractions now so I decide to go and stand by her side and let her squeeze the shit out of my hand every time one came around. I wanted to be supportive and also make up for devouring Cheez its in front of her. She finally decides she is ready for the epidural. The nurse informs me that once the anesthesiologist arrives to give my wife the epidural I will have to wait out in the lobby. So I help my wife through several more contractions and then the anesthesiologist finally arrives and I take my leave. The nurse tells me it should take about a half hour or so. I hated to have to leave her side but didn't really have a choice. I make my way out to the lobby and wait......and wait... It was by this time over a half an hour so with each passing minute I start to worry more and more. No one has come out to get me. My phone rings and on the other end is my wife who sounds more relaxed then she had been in days. She tells me it's ok to come back and say the nurses couldn't find me. A few minutes after I get back to our room my  wife falls asleep.

                I get a call on my phone from my parents who are on their way up to wait for the baby to arrive. I figure since the wife is out cold I could ask my parents to pick me up something to eat. They show up 20 minutes later with Schlotzsky's. I just sit down and start to eat when my wife wakes up. BUSTED! She was actually okay with it. She knew I needed real food. What a wife. Still I felt guilty.

                 I had just finished eating when the doctor arrives to check my wife's progress. It's time to push. I had a hard time realizing that this was it. It all seemed so surreal. It was now just a matter time before we met our son. I asked what I could do and took my place at my wife's side. My job was to hold her head up as she pushed, give her a cool rag on her head when she wanted it, and give her some of those fucking ice chips when she wanted. 

                I told myself I wasn't going to look. The crown of our sons head was starting to show. My legs hurt from standing and I was getting light headed from holding my breath and pushing when my wife pushed. I'm really lucky I didn't shit myself. In between pushes, I go and grab my drink which is on the other side of the room, As I'm walking by I do exactly what I did not want to do and could not help but do, I look. I won't go in to detail because my wife asked me not to and also because I've just become able to sleep at night again but it was bad. Like horror movie bad. Ugh ok moving on.

               My wife pushed for two hours. My phone went off for two hours with texts asking if the baby was here yet. If I didn't text you than he wasn't here yet. I guess some people thought our baby was just going to torpedo out of the womb and into the world. It's okay, they were excited. 

               Then finally it came down to the last few pushes and boom there he was and I believe the first words out of my mouth were "oh shit!" It's crazy, the whole thing. I had so many emotions and thoughts going through my head as he appeared. I will say that as he was pulled out he looked like an alien. All grey and emotionless and he wasn't moving. I started to worry and looked at my wife to see how she was doing. That's when I heard him cry. I felt a lot better and laughed as did my wife a bit. I counted his fingers and toes and told my wife "five fingers and toes"................."on each hand and foot" . I had almost forgotten to say the each hand and foot part.

              Ok so once again I sat down to write a little and ended up writing more than I had planned. I promise that in part 3 I will get back to the couch and why I ended up missing it. There is still more to come so I hope you stick with me for part 3. Eventually I will get to the parenthood part too. Thanks for reading.

                                     Part 3 coming soon!!!!
              

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the snoring was a rude reminder that someone was sleeping and it wasn't me.

    ReplyDelete